Sunday, November 8, 2009

BP6_20091108_Researching&Blogging. Web 2.0 toolsGR

One web 2.0 tool I found important to me as an educator and my learning environment is called Graspr. Graspr, is also known as the instructional video network and contains many videos that include educational and arts and crafts areas. This website has a wealth of knowledge in many other areas as well. Graspr contains videos for sports, recreation, home, garden, food, and drinks. I would use this site with my students to first show them as a model of the artistic processes of what I want them to learn. After viewing the video we would hold a question and answer discussion to find out if anyone needed any other instructions before actually starting the process. If there is something I viewed and I needed specific assistance with, I would contact whomever created the video with my questions or concerns before showing it to my students. Graspr also has an online community to allow people to connect and share their experiences and expertise. This site has tips on video production and an area to share your knowledge with questions and answers. A video that I viewed was ‘How to make a plaster paper mache face mask’ by the Handy Goddess. The video was clear and loud enough to understand the instructions. She actually plastered her own face, but used vaseline before applying the plaster to her skin. My concern would be for any students with dust allergies and they would not use their face as the model. They would apply plaster to a plastic mask. They would need to apply several layers, at least three layers of plaster strips onto their mask. This may take two or three days to complete. If the student wants to add any extra details to their mask then they need to add them before painting. A stick could also be added to hold the mask or you can place holes in the sides to tie it around the face. After it has been smoothed out and all the extra details have been added, then it will be ready to paint. Acrylic paint, tempera or spray paint works best. After all mask are completed have a masquerade party, or display them in an exhibit.

Graspr image retrieved November 08,2009 from

1 comment:

  1. Allison,
    This is great! Graspr, huh? I'm definitely going to check out that website. I don't teach art, but there might be some fun science videos!! Also I'm a huge arts and crafts buff (fun word huh?) so I think I'll definitely score some ideas here! Thanks again for the tip!

    ReplyDelete